In this guide we will go through the steps required to get the Google Assistant working with your Remootio device.
Users do not need to register any account to use their Remootio devices as all keys are stored on the device itself any the user's smartphone. Alexa and Google Home however requires an account to link the skill with, therefore in order to use Alexa or Google Home you will need to register a Remootio account and share a key (that Alexa or Google Home will use) with this Remootio account.
-Your Remootio device is set up
-It's connected to your home Wi-Fi
-Internet access is enabled via EasyConnect
-The status sensor has to be installed and enabled in the Remootio app (The Google Assistant needs to know the current status of your gate or garage door)
1) Open the Remootio app, and swipe to your device
2) Tap the settings icon in the bottom right corner
3) Scroll down until you see Alexa and Google Home and tap on it
You will then see the following screen:
4.a) If you already have a Remootio account continue to step 5)
4.b) If you don't have a Remootio account yet, tap on Register Remootio account
Upon successful registration you will receive a confirmation e-mail. Click on the link in the e-mail to verify your account.
5) Log in to your Remootio account. (In the same menu you've reached in step 3). After logging in you should see the following screen:
6) Tap on Link device. Upon successful linking a key called Smart home will appear in your shared keys list. This is the key the Google Assistant will use. If you disable the internet access rights for this key, the Google Assistant will not be able to operate your gate. In order to unlink your Remootio device from your Remootio account, you need to delete the Smart home key just like any regular key.
7) Go to your Google Home app and go to the Add and manage menu then tap on Set up device. Then under Works with Google tap on Have already something set up?
8) Search for the smart home skill Remootio smart controller. Select it, and enable the skill. You will be prompted to link your Remootio account.
9) Log in with your Remootio account that you've used in step 5
10) Upon successful account linking your Remootio will appear in the Google Home app as a "Lock".
You have successfully set up Remootio to work with Google Home. You can control your device by saying (in the example utterances the Remootio device is called Front gate):
"OK Google, is the Front gate open?" / "OK Gooogle, is the Front gate closed?"
"OK Google, close the Front gate",
In order to open your gate or garage door via Google Home you need to specify a PIN code that the Google Assistant will prompt you to verify your identity. As long as you keep this code secret it protects you from an unauthorised person shouting in your window "OK Google, open the garage door" and entering to your house.
11) To specify a PIN code go to the same menu as in step 5) and log in to your Remootio account. Here press the Remootio account settings menu and then select Set unlock pin for Google Home. Choose a pin code.
After this whenever you tell the Google Assistant
"OK Google, open the Front gate"
it will ask for this PIN code before opening.